The Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony is a celebration of the achievements of our newest scholarship recipients.
In 2017 the Scholarship Award Ceremony returned to Deakin Edge in Federation Square. Over 90 talented young people from Melbourne’s west were presented with their certificates and recognised for an array of talents including academic excellence, debating, leadership, advocacy, community service, art, design, languages, music, dance and more.
It was wonderful to see so many of you there and we know that every one of our new recipients was grateful for your support.
The event exhibition highlighted the talents of a number of our current scholarship recipients and Western Chances alumni by providing a platform to showcase their work.
The Deputy Premier, Minister for Education and Minister for Emergency Services the Honourable James Merlino MP opened the ceremony and presented the certificates alongside the Western Chances Patron, Frank Vincent AO QC.
We were privileged to have Western Chances Alumni, Abid Khan return for his third year as Master of Ceremonies. Congratulations Dr. Abid Khan on your inspiring journey from student to graduate.
We would also like to say a big thank you to our alumni speaker and Western Chances board member Celia Tran who shared her story. While Celia’s speech was very powerful and moving, it is gratifying to know that the opportunity also meant so much to her:
“I’ve done a lot speaking gigs, but this had to be one of my faves so far because I could see the eyes of the young scholarship recipients light up as I spoke (it reminded me of my young self!). Thanks and HUGE congrats to you and the lovely team at Western Chances for putting together such a beautiful event last night!”
The vocal performance by scholarship recipient Tania Suesue helped to make the evening truly memorable. The depth of talent amongst our recipients is inspiring.
"It was a lovely evening and so wonderful to see the talented students of the west. We met the singer later as she was leaving and what a wonderful voice and wonderful young woman." Associate Professor Alex Cockram, CEO Western Health.
A final thank you to our event sponsor Transurban. Their support enabled us to ensure that this was a very special evening for our recipients and for our supporters who help keep the Big Dreams alive.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship