The Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony is a celebration of the achievements of our newest scholarship recipients.
In 2017 the Scholarship Award Ceremony returned to Deakin Edge in Federation Square. Over 90 talented young people from Melbourne’s west were presented with their certificates and recognised for an array of talents including academic excellence, debating, leadership, advocacy, community service, art, design, languages, music, dance and more.
It was wonderful to see so many of you there and we know that every one of our new recipients was grateful for your support.
The event exhibition highlighted the talents of a number of our current scholarship recipients and Western Chances alumni by providing a platform to showcase their work.
The Deputy Premier, Minister for Education and Minister for Emergency Services the Honourable James Merlino MP opened the ceremony and presented the certificates alongside the Western Chances Patron, Frank Vincent AO QC.
We were privileged to have Western Chances Alumni, Abid Khan return for his third year as Master of Ceremonies. Congratulations Dr. Abid Khan on your inspiring journey from student to graduate.
We would also like to say a big thank you to our alumni speaker and Western Chances board member Celia Tran who shared her story. While Celia’s speech was very powerful and moving, it is gratifying to know that the opportunity also meant so much to her:
“I’ve done a lot speaking gigs, but this had to be one of my faves so far because I could see the eyes of the young scholarship recipients light up as I spoke (it reminded me of my young self!). Thanks and HUGE congrats to you and the lovely team at Western Chances for putting together such a beautiful event last night!”
The vocal performance by scholarship recipient Tania Suesue helped to make the evening truly memorable. The depth of talent amongst our recipients is inspiring.
"It was a lovely evening and so wonderful to see the talented students of the west. We met the singer later as she was leaving and what a wonderful voice and wonderful young woman." Associate Professor Alex Cockram, CEO Western Health.
A final thank you to our event sponsor Transurban. Their support enabled us to ensure that this was a very special evening for our recipients and for our supporters who help keep the Big Dreams alive.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- National Volunteer Week 2019 - ‘Making a world of difference’
- Family values make accessible mental health care a priority for scholarship student
- Nominator spotlight: From student to Year 12 coordinator at Braybrook College
- Working together in Melbourne’s west.
- Netflow-Western Chances partnership supporting talented young people in Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony 2019 - Event Wrap Up
- Great results for Western Chances Year 12 students
- Scholarship recipient responds to One Young World call to action
- Nominator spotlight: A champion for enterprising young students
- Western Chances and Melbourne Airport: Celebrating 10 years together
- Nominator Profile: Creating opportunities for young people is a way of life
- Alumni and recipients say thank you to donors and supporters
- Travel fuels scholarship student’s desire to improve global health
- Basketball fan takes his study game to a new level with scholarship “assist”
- Inspired changemaker paves the way for future young leaders
- Scholarship recipient makes the right moves toward career in medicine
- Western Chances alumni and tertiary recipient networking event
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Links Partner Profile: Maths professionals make ideal mentors for enquiring minds
- Acting career is no drama for scholarship recipient