The Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony is a celebration of the achievements of our newest scholarship recipients.
In 2016 the Scholarship Award Ceremony returned to Deakin Edge in Federation Square. Over 90 talented young people from Melbourne’s west were presented with their certificates and recognised for an array of talents including academic excellence, debating, leadership, advocacy, community service, art, design, languages, music, dance and more.
It was wonderful to see so many of you there and we know that every one of our new recipients was grateful for your support.
The event exhibition highlighted the talents of a number of our current scholarship recipients and Western Chances alumni by providing a platform to showcase their work.
The Deputy Premier, Minister for Education and Minister for Emergency Services the Honourable James Merlino MP opened the ceremony and presented the certificates alongside the Western Chances Patron, Frank Vincent AO QC.
We were privileged to have Western Chances Alumni, Abid Khan return for his third year as Master of Ceremonies. Congratulations Dr. Abid Khan on your inspiring journey from student to graduate.
We would also like to say a big thank you to our alumni speaker and Western Chances board member Celia Tran who shared her story. While Celia’s speech was very powerful and moving, it is gratifying to know that the opportunity also meant so much to her:
“I’ve done a lot speaking gigs, but this had to be one of my faves so far because I could see the eyes of the young scholarship recipients light up as I spoke (it reminded me of my young self!). Thanks and HUGE congrats to you and the lovely team at Western Chances for putting together such a beautiful event last night!”
The vocal performance by scholarship recipient Tania Suesue helped to make the evening truly memorable. The depth of talent amongst our recipients is inspiring.
"It was a lovely evening and so wonderful to see the talented students of the west. We met the singer later as she was leaving and what a wonderful voice and wonderful young woman." Associate Professor Alex Cockram, CEO Western Health.
A final thank you to our event sponsor Transurban. Their support enabled us to ensure that this was a very special evening for our recipients and for our supporters who help keep the Big Dreams alive.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Scholarship recipient breaks new ground in Australian TV
- From Stockbroker to teacher: Meet Western Chances nominator Tony Adamson
- Scholarship recipient overcomes barriers on road to dreams
- Scholarship recipient strengthens resolve to achieve global impact
- Lunchtime wisdom for recipients and alumni
- Terry Bracks AM career of giving and chances
- College Captain & scholarship recipient takes leadership in her stride
- Scholarship recipient encourages young aspiring lawyers: “Just go for it”
- Refugee and Scholarship recipient finds hope and gratitude connecting with others
- Nominator Spotlight: Ann Goller Williamstown High School
- Western Chances Scholarship recipient on Q&A panel
- Western Chances Alumni Brainstorm Session
- Communication: the key to a bright future for scholarship recipient
- Scholarship recipient honoured to represent Australia at Washington’s Capitol Hill
- Making a difference with medicine: Scholarship recipient inspired to pursue a career in patient care
- Good Business Forum 2017 Wrap Up
- New Alumni Community Program – Word from the Wise
- Alumni Business Spotlight: Leesa Ward from Double-E Design
- Western Chances Alumni Abid Khan: Star of the stage and medicine
- 2017 Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony