We’re excited to announce we have a new Patron, The Hon Julia Gillard AC. Australia’s first female Prime Minister from 2010-2013, Julia has long had a commitment to social justice and inclusion.
On accepting the role, Julia said:
“I have always believed that everyone has a right to the transformative power of a good quality education. Western Chances helps turn that right into a reality by making sure young people, who may not otherwise have the means, are able to access the education they deserve. I am delighted to be involved with Western Chances as Patron.”
Julia was a long-time resident of Melbourne’s western suburbs and some of you will remember that she nominated Western Chances as her favourite charity when she was on “Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader” in 2009. She generously donated her winnings of $100,000 to us!
Julia is currently also the Chair of Beyond Blue, one of Australia’s leading mental health awareness bodies; Chair of the global funding body for education in developing countries, the Global Partnership for Education; and the inaugural Chair of the Global Institute for Women’s Leadership at Kings College London, which through research, practice and advocacy, is addressing women’s under-representation in leadership.
We’re delighted to have Julia on board, especially given her very busy schedule, and look forward to working with her to support young people in Melbourne’s west.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Great results from our 2019 VCE cohort
- A new Patron for Western Chances
- Taking big steps into the world of STEM
- An adventure at the London International Youth Science Forum
- Learning and working in Texas
- A career that’s taking off
- A passion to inspire through storytelling
- A lens on homelessness
- Western Chances Good Business Forum 2019
- Trinity Young Leaders Program
- Vale Lynne Wannan AM
- Scholarship student has big dreams to tackle inequality and discrimination
- National Volunteer Week 2019 - ‘Making a world of difference’
- Family values make accessible mental health care a priority for scholarship student
- Nominator spotlight: From student to Year 12 coordinator at Braybrook College
- Working together in Melbourne’s west.
- Netflow-Western Chances partnership supporting talented young people in Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony 2019 - Event Wrap Up
- Great results for Western Chances Year 12 students
- Scholarship recipient responds to One Young World call to action