We recently caught up with James Tedesco, a Western Chances scholarship recipient who is dedicating his free time to pursuing his leadership and career ambitions.
During Year 11 at Copperfield College in Melbourne’s west, James received his first Western Chances Scholarship when he was nominated by his careers advisor as an emerging young leader. The support provided through the scholarship enabled James to focus on his studies without added financial pressures. James has received funding for MYKI, Internet fees, tutoring, textbooks, stationery and a laptop.
“Western Chances is an amazing organisation. I am so grateful for all the support and opportunities that I have been given. They've impacted my family and I enormously, and really made my education life a much easier and exciting journey. I can't speak of the organisation highly enough.”
As a scholarship recipient, James was invited by Western Chances to participate in the week-long residential Young Leaders Program run by Trinity College, University of Melbourne. Initially, James was concerned about sacrificing the holiday period, which he always devotes to extra studies in preparation for the next term.
“Looking back at the Trinity Young Leaders Program, I am so glad I took the step out of my comfort zone. It had an immediate impact on my life: largely built my confidence, was instrumental in getting me multiple part-time jobs, and assisted in the introduction to the many life lessons and skills necessary to be successful in the future.”
Taking his growing confidence a step further, James eagerly took part in a Doxa Cadetship with KPMG, an opportunity also facilitated by Western Chances.
“My short time at KPMG definitely fulfilled expectations. The environment is one that allows you to thrive and grow personally as well as professionally. After meeting my mentors, I soon learnt that an opportunity may just be around the corner. There is so much potential in such a large firm and I'm just really excited to get back into the office and start working again!”
James is currently studying at Monash University doing a Bachelor of International Business/Bachelor of Business while working at a part-time job to support himself and his family. His holidays this year will be career-focused.
“During all my university holidays I'll be at KPMG, so I'll be looking to take every opportunity I can while I'm there, working really hard and hopefully make an impact in the team. I also have and will continue to volunteer within my community and other not-for-profit organisations. It's always great to support other ambitious and hopeful students. In terms of the future, I hope to increase my involvement in societies and business-focused groups within my university, continue to study hard and make my time count while at KPMG.”
As a hard worker, James is dedicated to converting all of his opportunities into the foundations of a successful career.
“The big dream is constantly changing. I'm pretty ambitious so I'm just trying to make the most out of every opportunity and perform to the highest possible standard. I'm getting introduced to so much at the moment so it's hard to imagine where I'll be in the future. Though, the two things I hope for in the future are to be working for a multinational organisation, and preferably in a leadership role. Though I think most importantly, to reach my full potential with whatever comes of the future.”
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship
- Young scholarship recipient’s personal development inspired by Western Chances community connections
- Award-winning photographer and scholarship recipient has a keen eye for chemistry
- Scholarship recipient striving for a career advancing technology
- Scholarship recipient finds courage to thrive in music performance
- Inspiring women with big futures in Melbourne’s west
- Scholarship recipient builds bright future sparked by a love of engineering
- Western Chances scholarship recipients excel in VCE and VCAL
- Scholarship recipient explores her passion for animal care
- Meet a Board member: Gaye Hamilton
- High octane science and engineering career ahead for scholarship recipient
- Western Chances workshop inspires next generation of leaders
- Gymnast and scholarship recipient becomes Dance Sports champion
- Scholarship recipient embraces university and work placements with an eye on the future