We recently caught up with James Tedesco, a Western Chances scholarship recipient who is dedicating his free time to pursuing his leadership and career ambitions.
During Year 11 at Copperfield College in Melbourne’s west, James received his first Western Chances Scholarship when he was nominated by his careers advisor as an emerging young leader. The support provided through the scholarship enabled James to focus on his studies without added financial pressures. James has received funding for MYKI, Internet fees, tutoring, textbooks, stationery and a laptop.
“Western Chances is an amazing organisation. I am so grateful for all the support and opportunities that I have been given. They've impacted my family and I enormously, and really made my education life a much easier and exciting journey. I can't speak of the organisation highly enough.”
As a scholarship recipient, James was invited by Western Chances to participate in the week-long residential Young Leaders Program run by Trinity College, University of Melbourne. Initially, James was concerned about sacrificing the holiday period, which he always devotes to extra studies in preparation for the next term.
“Looking back at the Trinity Young Leaders Program, I am so glad I took the step out of my comfort zone. It had an immediate impact on my life: largely built my confidence, was instrumental in getting me multiple part-time jobs, and assisted in the introduction to the many life lessons and skills necessary to be successful in the future.”
Taking his growing confidence a step further, James eagerly took part in a Doxa Cadetship with KPMG, an opportunity also facilitated by Western Chances.
“My short time at KPMG definitely fulfilled expectations. The environment is one that allows you to thrive and grow personally as well as professionally. After meeting my mentors, I soon learnt that an opportunity may just be around the corner. There is so much potential in such a large firm and I'm just really excited to get back into the office and start working again!”
James is currently studying at Monash University doing a Bachelor of International Business/Bachelor of Business while working at a part-time job to support himself and his family. His holidays this year will be career-focused.
“During all my university holidays I'll be at KPMG, so I'll be looking to take every opportunity I can while I'm there, working really hard and hopefully make an impact in the team. I also have and will continue to volunteer within my community and other not-for-profit organisations. It's always great to support other ambitious and hopeful students. In terms of the future, I hope to increase my involvement in societies and business-focused groups within my university, continue to study hard and make my time count while at KPMG.”
As a hard worker, James is dedicated to converting all of his opportunities into the foundations of a successful career.
“The big dream is constantly changing. I'm pretty ambitious so I'm just trying to make the most out of every opportunity and perform to the highest possible standard. I'm getting introduced to so much at the moment so it's hard to imagine where I'll be in the future. Though, the two things I hope for in the future are to be working for a multinational organisation, and preferably in a leadership role. Though I think most importantly, to reach my full potential with whatever comes of the future.”
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances workshop inspires next generation of leaders
- Meet a Board member: Ros Willett, Deputy Chair, Western Chances Board
- A lifetime in the west: Western Chances nominator dedicates her life to supporting young people
- Scholarship recipient welcomed into Western Chances family
- Dedicated scholarship recipient keen to begin leadership career
- Scholarship recipient eyes opportunities through window into corporate world
- Performing Arts potential realised through Western Chances Scholarship
- Scholarship recipient breaks new ground in Australian TV
- From Stockbroker to teacher: Meet Western Chances nominator Tony Adamson
- Scholarship recipient overcomes barriers on road to dreams
- Scholarship recipient strengthens resolve to achieve global impact
- Lunchtime wisdom for recipients and alumni
- Terry Bracks AM career of giving and chances
- College Captain & scholarship recipient takes leadership in her stride
- Scholarship recipient encourages young aspiring lawyers: “Just go for it”
- Refugee and Scholarship recipient finds hope and gratitude connecting with others
- Nominator Spotlight: Ann Goller Williamstown High School
- Western Chances Scholarship recipient on Q&A panel
- Western Chances Alumni Brainstorm Session
- Communication: the key to a bright future for scholarship recipient