Western Chances annual fundraiser, the Good Business Forum, was held on Friday 15 June 2018.
Now a much-anticipated annual event, the eighth Western Chances Good Business Forum showed again that the business of doing good is also good for business. Supporters from government, business and community sectors joined together to celebrate the valuable work Western Chances is doing in Melbourne’s west, and to connect and collaborate with peers.
An initiative of Founder and Chair Terry Bracks AM, the event raises funds to provide scholarships for talented and motivated young people in Melbourne’s west who are experiencing financial barriers to completing their education. For the second consecutive year, the luncheon sold out weeks in advance. In addition to having a full house, we also raised just under $100,000 which is an outstanding result. The Western Chances team enjoyed meeting, and reconnecting with, generous supporters.
Our keynote speaker this year was acclaimed Australian actor, director and writer, Leah Purcell, a proud Goa-Gunggari-Wakka Wakka Murri woman from QLD. Leah’s enthralling story of overcoming adversity to achieve her dreams really resonated with us. Our scholarship recipient delivered a powerful speech. Many were moved by the challenges she continues to overcome. As she said in her speech; 'You are all helping Western Chances to keep their dream alive: the dream of helping people like me. We will not let you down'.
Following this entertaining and inspiring event, we are excited to share that the funds raised equates to 96 annual scholarships to support young students. Every dollar raised helps us give a chance to young people in Melbourne’s west who struggle to complete their education and reach their potential.
We would like to thank everyone who attended the 2018 Good Business Forum or supported it by donating prizes to our auctions and raffle or volunteered their time. Your generous support helps young people to fulfil their potential and pursue their dreams.
You can see some great photos from the event, here.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- National Volunteer Week 2019 - ‘Making a world of difference’
- Family values make accessible mental health care a priority for scholarship student
- Nominator spotlight: From student to Year 12 coordinator at Braybrook College
- Working together in Melbourne’s west.
- Netflow-Western Chances partnership supporting talented young people in Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony 2019 - Event Wrap Up
- Great results for Western Chances Year 12 students
- Scholarship recipient responds to One Young World call to action
- Nominator spotlight: A champion for enterprising young students
- Western Chances and Melbourne Airport: Celebrating 10 years together
- Nominator Profile: Creating opportunities for young people is a way of life
- Alumni and recipients say thank you to donors and supporters
- Travel fuels scholarship student’s desire to improve global health
- Basketball fan takes his study game to a new level with scholarship “assist”
- Inspired changemaker paves the way for future young leaders
- Scholarship recipient makes the right moves toward career in medicine
- Western Chances alumni and tertiary recipient networking event
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Links Partner Profile: Maths professionals make ideal mentors for enquiring minds
- Acting career is no drama for scholarship recipient