Western Chances annual fundraiser, the Good Business Forum, was held on Friday 15 June 2018.
Now a much-anticipated annual event, the eighth Western Chances Good Business Forum showed again that the business of doing good is also good for business. Supporters from government, business and community sectors joined together to celebrate the valuable work Western Chances is doing in Melbourne’s west, and to connect and collaborate with peers.
An initiative of Founder and Chair Terry Bracks AM, the event raises funds to provide scholarships for talented and motivated young people in Melbourne’s west who are experiencing financial barriers to completing their education. For the second consecutive year, the luncheon sold out weeks in advance. In addition to having a full house, we also raised just under $100,000 which is an outstanding result. The Western Chances team enjoyed meeting, and reconnecting with, generous supporters.
Our keynote speaker this year was acclaimed Australian actor, director and writer, Leah Purcell, a proud Goa-Gunggari-Wakka Wakka Murri woman from QLD. Leah’s enthralling story of overcoming adversity to achieve her dreams really resonated with us. Our scholarship recipient delivered a powerful speech. Many were moved by the challenges she continues to overcome. As she said in her speech; 'You are all helping Western Chances to keep their dream alive: the dream of helping people like me. We will not let you down'.
Following this entertaining and inspiring event, we are excited to share that the funds raised equates to 96 annual scholarships to support young students. Every dollar raised helps us give a chance to young people in Melbourne’s west who struggle to complete their education and reach their potential.
We would like to thank everyone who attended the 2018 Good Business Forum or supported it by donating prizes to our auctions and raffle or volunteered their time. Your generous support helps young people to fulfil their potential and pursue their dreams.
You can see some great photos from the event, here.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship
- Young scholarship recipient’s personal development inspired by Western Chances community connections
- Award-winning photographer and scholarship recipient has a keen eye for chemistry