On Wednesday 13th September we held our second ‘Word from the Wise’ lunch at Rosa’s Canteen in the city. ‘Word from the Wise’ brings together a small group of Western Chances recipients and/or alumni to meet with a ‘wise’ person who shares their insights and experiences in a relaxed and intimate forum.
Our wise and special guest was Dr David Hipgrave BSc, MBBS, FRACP (Paediatrics), PhD. He studied and trained in Melbourne and has extensive country-level experience in child health based on 16 years working in Africa and South and East Asia.
David joined UNICEF Indonesia in October 2004 and now works at UNICEF’s New York Headquarters where he leads the team focusing on health systems strengthening, but has recently spent two months as officer-in-charge of its health program in Afghanistan.
He is an Associate in the University of Melbourne’s School of Population Health and has published on a wide variety of child health and nutrition issues.
Our young people were able to talk to David about his experiences, seek his advice about education and career choices and generally ‘pick his brains’. He was generous with his time and was genuinely interested in the lives and pathways of those who attended the lunch.
It was fascinating to learn about the many and varied options open to those who wish to pursue careers in medicine, public health or community service.
Plans are underway for future ‘Word from the Wise’ lunches so keep an eye out for opportunity alerts promoting the next events.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Scholarship recipient breaks new ground in Australian TV
- From Stockbroker to teacher: Meet Western Chances nominator Tony Adamson
- Scholarship recipient overcomes barriers on road to dreams
- Scholarship recipient strengthens resolve to achieve global impact
- Lunchtime wisdom for recipients and alumni
- Terry Bracks AM career of giving and chances
- College Captain & scholarship recipient takes leadership in her stride
- Scholarship recipient encourages young aspiring lawyers: “Just go for it”
- Refugee and Scholarship recipient finds hope and gratitude connecting with others
- Nominator Spotlight: Ann Goller Williamstown High School
- Western Chances Scholarship recipient on Q&A panel
- Western Chances Alumni Brainstorm Session
- Communication: the key to a bright future for scholarship recipient
- Scholarship recipient honoured to represent Australia at Washington’s Capitol Hill
- Making a difference with medicine: Scholarship recipient inspired to pursue a career in patient care
- Good Business Forum 2017 Wrap Up
- New Alumni Community Program – Word from the Wise
- Alumni Business Spotlight: Leesa Ward from Double-E Design
- Western Chances Alumni Abid Khan: Star of the stage and medicine
- 2017 Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony