Gaye Hamilton has been a resident of Melbourne’s west for 45 years. As a former secondary school science teacher and Principal in Victoria’s state system, she is dedicated to education as a conduit for building and strengthening her local community.
After 18 years of teaching, Gaye left the school system to launch her career in the world of museums and zoos. From 1989 to 2004, when she retired from the sector, Gaye has held directorial positions at Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Scienceworks and ultimately had responsibility for Museum Victoria as their Director of Museum Operations.
Gaye also volunteers her time to support several organisations in Melbourne’s west as Chair of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation Board, a Council member for Victoria University and of course works hard as a Board member of Western Chances.
Through her role at Western Chances, Gaye has had a significant role in helping the organisation to grow and change over the years. For that, we are truly grateful.
When asked what Gaye’s Big Dream was she says “I want the opportunity for every person, but particularly young people, across Melbourne’s west, to have access to the highest quality education to enable them to succeed in being their best, whatever that may be.”
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Scholarship recipient explores her passion for animal care
- Meet a Board member: Gaye Hamilton
- High octane science and engineering career ahead for scholarship recipient
- Western Chances workshop inspires next generation of leaders
- Gymnast and scholarship recipient becomes Dance Sports champion
- Scholarship recipient embraces university and work placements with an eye on the future
- Meet a Board member: Ros Willett, Deputy Chair, Western Chances Board
- A lifetime in the west: Western Chances nominator dedicates her life to supporting young people
- Scholarship recipient welcomed into Western Chances family
- Dedicated scholarship recipient keen to begin leadership career
- Scholarship recipient eyes opportunities through window into corporate world
- Performing Arts potential realised through Western Chances Scholarship
- Scholarship recipient breaks new ground in Australian TV
- From Stockbroker to teacher: Meet Western Chances nominator Tony Adamson
- Scholarship recipient overcomes barriers on road to dreams
- Scholarship recipient strengthens resolve to achieve global impact
- Lunchtime wisdom for recipients and alumni
- Terry Bracks AM career of giving and chances
- College Captain & scholarship recipient takes leadership in her stride
- Scholarship recipient encourages young aspiring lawyers: “Just go for it”