Gaye Hamilton has been a resident of Melbourne’s west for 45 years. As a former secondary school science teacher and Principal in Victoria’s state system, she is dedicated to education as a conduit for building and strengthening her local community.
After 18 years of teaching, Gaye left the school system to launch her career in the world of museums and zoos. From 1989 to 2004, when she retired from the sector, Gaye has held directorial positions at Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Scienceworks and ultimately had responsibility for Museum Victoria as their Director of Museum Operations.
Gaye also volunteers her time to support several organisations in Melbourne’s west as Chair of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation Board, a Council member for Victoria University and of course works hard as a Board member of Western Chances.
Through her role at Western Chances, Gaye has had a significant role in helping the organisation to grow and change over the years. For that, we are truly grateful.
When asked what Gaye’s Big Dream was she says “I want the opportunity for every person, but particularly young people, across Melbourne’s west, to have access to the highest quality education to enable them to succeed in being their best, whatever that may be.”
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship