Western Chances has many excellent volunteers who provide administrative support in the office, help out at our events or serve as committee members. To celebrate National Volunteer Week we would like to introduce you to Lyn Foote, one of our newest volunteers.
Lyn is a West Footscray local and golf enthusiast who came to volunteer at Western Chances just four weeks ago, putting her expert administrative skills to use by helping in the office.
“I am assisting with whatever tasks are at hand and learning about the scholarship recipients along the way.”
Lyn says it was a conversation with Western Chances founder and chair Terry Bracks AM that first prompted her to contact the organisation about volunteering.
“It seemed to be a great western suburb community initiative, and one I would like to join as a volunteer. I wanted to assist in a worthy cause, particularly relating to Western Chances work with young people and assisting with their education costs. It is our future.”
Even though she has only been with the organisation a short while she is already a great advocate for the organisation and strongly believes that Western Chances make a real difference in the lives of young people in Melbourne’s west, and beyond.
“The programs they run not only benefit the particular young people and their families who receive scholarships, but in turn will ensure that the future of communities into which the recipients will eventually move, will be enhanced. The programs will impact greatly on the calibre of these future adults in communities.”
Thank you to Lyn for her valuable volunteer hours, and happy National Volunteer Week!
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship