Ann Goller is a passionate Western Chances nominator who has gone above and beyond to support her students to overcome financial barriers and set them on the path to achieving their dreams. Ann was recognised by Western Chances for her dedication as the winner of the 2017 Helen Worladge Award.
Image provided by Western Chances
The Helen Worladge Award is named in honour of the first CEO of Western Chances, and recognises the efforts of teachers and other nominators who identify and support talented young people by preparing and submitting applications for Western Chances Scholarships.
As well as feeling honoured to be announced as the winner of the award in 2017, being recognised in this way meant so much more to Ann.
“I…felt humbled because the students I have nominated for a Western Chances Scholarship trust me enough to share their stories with me and the hardships that they overcome to get an education. It’s a pleasure to see the students’ confidence, self-esteem and achievements grow as a result of receiving a Western Chances Scholarship.”
Ann’s love of education and her naturally patient manner drew her to embark on a career in teaching.
“I enjoy the interactions with students, seeing their academic progress and their personal growth, feeling as if I have made a positive contribution to someone’s life.”
As Student Well-Being Coordinator at Williamstown High School, Ann’s role includes helping students to access the equipment and assistance that they need to be successful at school.
“Through my role I became aware of students who were talented and diligent who were eligible to be nominated for a Western Chances Scholarship. Also, a meeting with Anne Connors gave me a better understanding of the nomination process, the range of talents the scholarships support and the additional opportunities that Western Chances can offer its scholarship recipients.”
Ann acknowledges that while the scholarships alleviate some of the financial pressures of education faced by a student and their family; Western Chances Scholarships provide more than just money.
“More importantly they increase the students’ self-belief and confidence because Western Chances and the school have recognised that they are succeeding at school or in another area, such as leadership or the arts, despite experiencing hardship. They also enable the students to take advantage of other opportunities such as VCE revision lectures and camps that Western Chances offers its recipients.”
What is the secret to identifying a candidate and making a successful application for a Western Chances Scholarship? Ann says;
“Taking the time to get to know the student who is being nominated and to collaborate with them on the application.
“Recognising and acknowledging the potential of the student, not only academically but also the potential to contribute to their community and society, is an important part of a successful nomination.”
We’re so glad to have Ann on board as a Western Chances nominator and look forward to continuing our work with her into the future.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Scholarship recipient explores her passion for animal care
- Meet a Board member: Gaye Hamilton
- High octane science and engineering career ahead for scholarship recipient
- Western Chances workshop inspires next generation of leaders
- Gymnast and scholarship recipient becomes Dance Sports champion
- Scholarship recipient embraces university and work placements with an eye on the future
- Meet a Board member: Ros Willett, Deputy Chair, Western Chances Board
- A lifetime in the west: Western Chances nominator dedicates her life to supporting young people
- Scholarship recipient welcomed into Western Chances family
- Dedicated scholarship recipient keen to begin leadership career
- Scholarship recipient eyes opportunities through window into corporate world
- Performing Arts potential realised through Western Chances Scholarship
- Scholarship recipient breaks new ground in Australian TV
- From Stockbroker to teacher: Meet Western Chances nominator Tony Adamson
- Scholarship recipient overcomes barriers on road to dreams
- Scholarship recipient strengthens resolve to achieve global impact
- Lunchtime wisdom for recipients and alumni
- Terry Bracks AM career of giving and chances
- College Captain & scholarship recipient takes leadership in her stride
- Scholarship recipient encourages young aspiring lawyers: “Just go for it”