Ann Goller is a passionate Western Chances nominator who has gone above and beyond to support her students to overcome financial barriers and set them on the path to achieving their dreams. Ann was recognised by Western Chances for her dedication as the winner of the 2017 Helen Worladge Award.
Image provided by Western Chances
The Helen Worladge Award is named in honour of the first CEO of Western Chances, and recognises the efforts of teachers and other nominators who identify and support talented young people by preparing and submitting applications for Western Chances Scholarships.
As well as feeling honoured to be announced as the winner of the award in 2017, being recognised in this way meant so much more to Ann.
“I…felt humbled because the students I have nominated for a Western Chances Scholarship trust me enough to share their stories with me and the hardships that they overcome to get an education. It’s a pleasure to see the students’ confidence, self-esteem and achievements grow as a result of receiving a Western Chances Scholarship.”
Ann’s love of education and her naturally patient manner drew her to embark on a career in teaching.
“I enjoy the interactions with students, seeing their academic progress and their personal growth, feeling as if I have made a positive contribution to someone’s life.”
As Student Well-Being Coordinator at Williamstown High School, Ann’s role includes helping students to access the equipment and assistance that they need to be successful at school.
“Through my role I became aware of students who were talented and diligent who were eligible to be nominated for a Western Chances Scholarship. Also, a meeting with Anne Connors gave me a better understanding of the nomination process, the range of talents the scholarships support and the additional opportunities that Western Chances can offer its scholarship recipients.”
Ann acknowledges that while the scholarships alleviate some of the financial pressures of education faced by a student and their family; Western Chances Scholarships provide more than just money.
“More importantly they increase the students’ self-belief and confidence because Western Chances and the school have recognised that they are succeeding at school or in another area, such as leadership or the arts, despite experiencing hardship. They also enable the students to take advantage of other opportunities such as VCE revision lectures and camps that Western Chances offers its recipients.”
What is the secret to identifying a candidate and making a successful application for a Western Chances Scholarship? Ann says;
“Taking the time to get to know the student who is being nominated and to collaborate with them on the application.
“Recognising and acknowledging the potential of the student, not only academically but also the potential to contribute to their community and society, is an important part of a successful nomination.”
We’re so glad to have Ann on board as a Western Chances nominator and look forward to continuing our work with her into the future.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship