Bruce and Emma from Keilor Downs College in Melbourne’s west are excited to be on board as Western Chances nominators.
In 2016 Western Chances received 700 scholarship nominations from over 60 different schools, universities and other organisations. Our aim is to have all schools in Melbourne’s west nominating their students for Western Chances Scholarships.
We are very pleased to welcome back Keilor Downs College as a returning nominator.
The Careers Pathway Team, Emma Ford and Bruce Knights, first heard about Western Chances through a previous pupil.
“One of our students (the dux of our class of 2015) heard about the Western Chances Scholarship program from friends who went to a neighbouring school who were recipients when he was at first year University.”
For these enthusiastic supporters of the program, Western Chances provides inspiration as well as practical support.
“Some of our students overcome significant barriers to realise their potential or pursue their talents. The effort this requires is ongoing, so an opportunity like Western Chances not only validates their efforts it assists their education in a really practical way.”
Even though the funds won’t be available to students until 2017, Bruce and Emma can already see the significant impact that the scholarships are having on the recipients’ education.
“Two of our recipients have been able to access opportunities that would not have been available if we weren’t part of the program. One recipient performed at Federation Square showcasing her voice at an event that will be televised, while the other attended a Young Leaders conference at Trinity College at Melbourne University.”
Emma and Bruce are now strong advocates of the program and encourage other teachers who may not have nominated before to consider the program in 2017.
“Speak to other staff who might be able to support the application or deepen your understanding of the student’s talents or the barriers or their generosity with their own talent.”
Welcome back Keilor Downs College!
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances Scholarship recipient to appear on Q&A panel
- Western Chances Alumni Brainstorm Session
- Communication: the key to a bright future for scholarship recipient
- Scholarship recipient honoured to represent Australia at Washington’s Capitol Hill
- Making a difference with medicine: Scholarship recipient inspired to pursue a career in patient care
- Good Business Forum 2017 Wrap Up
- New Alumni Community Program – Word from the Wise
- Alumni Business Spotlight: Leesa Ward from Double-E Design
- Western Chances Alumni Abid Khan: Star of the stage and medicine
- 2017 Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony
- Outstanding Year 12 completion Western Chances Scholarship Recipients
- Big Dreams for women in Melbourne’s west
- From music to journalism: Scholarship recipient carves out a promising career
- Western Chances alumni receives Premier’s top volunteering honour
- Western Chances scholarship recipient dancing towards a bright future
- Nominator Spotlight: Keilor Downs College
- A year in the life of a Western Chances Alumni Community Program member
- Alumni Natasha Jones on International Day of People with Disability: “We want the same thing as you”
- Recipient receives spark of inspiration at Engineering Camp
- The latest Western Chances Board update