Bruce and Emma from Keilor Downs College in Melbourne’s west are excited to be on board as Western Chances nominators.
In 2016 Western Chances received 700 scholarship nominations from over 60 different schools, universities and other organisations. Our aim is to have all schools in Melbourne’s west nominating their students for Western Chances Scholarships.
We are very pleased to welcome back Keilor Downs College as a returning nominator.
The Careers Pathway Team, Emma Ford and Bruce Knights, first heard about Western Chances through a previous pupil.
“One of our students (the dux of our class of 2015) heard about the Western Chances Scholarship program from friends who went to a neighbouring school who were recipients when he was at first year University.”
For these enthusiastic supporters of the program, Western Chances provides inspiration as well as practical support.
“Some of our students overcome significant barriers to realise their potential or pursue their talents. The effort this requires is ongoing, so an opportunity like Western Chances not only validates their efforts it assists their education in a really practical way.”
Even though the funds won’t be available to students until 2017, Bruce and Emma can already see the significant impact that the scholarships are having on the recipients’ education.
“Two of our recipients have been able to access opportunities that would not have been available if we weren’t part of the program. One recipient performed at Federation Square showcasing her voice at an event that will be televised, while the other attended a Young Leaders conference at Trinity College at Melbourne University.”
Emma and Bruce are now strong advocates of the program and encourage other teachers who may not have nominated before to consider the program in 2017.
“Speak to other staff who might be able to support the application or deepen your understanding of the student’s talents or the barriers or their generosity with their own talent.”
Welcome back Keilor Downs College!
Image courtesy Emma Ford
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship
- Young scholarship recipient’s personal development inspired by Western Chances community connections
- Award-winning photographer and scholarship recipient has a keen eye for chemistry
- Scholarship recipient striving for a career advancing technology
- Scholarship recipient finds courage to thrive in music performance
- Inspiring women with big futures in Melbourne’s west
- Scholarship recipient builds bright future sparked by a love of engineering
- Western Chances scholarship recipients excel in VCE and VCAL
- Scholarship recipient explores her passion for animal care
- Meet a Board member: Gaye Hamilton
- High octane science and engineering career ahead for scholarship recipient
- Western Chances workshop inspires next generation of leaders
- Gymnast and scholarship recipient becomes Dance Sports champion
- Scholarship recipient embraces university and work placements with an eye on the future
- Meet a Board member: Ros Willett, Deputy Chair, Western Chances Board
- A lifetime in the west: Western Chances nominator dedicates her life to supporting young people
- Scholarship recipient welcomed into Western Chances family
- Dedicated scholarship recipient keen to begin leadership career