Western Chances Scholarship Recipient, Asende Singehebhuye, is sure of one thing; that she wants to help those less fortunate than herself. For this young high school student, “giving back” is all part of the journey as she uncovers her potential.
Asende with friend attending the Trinity Young Leaders Program
Asende is a student with a curious mind and the determination to explore some different directions before settling on her course of further study.
“Throughout the entirety of my high school journey I have mainly focused on doing subjects that give me a broader opportunity; subjects that lead into several different career pathways.”
Her passion has always been to help others, and Western Chances was thrilled to be able to connect her to the Trinity Young Leaders program. The program offers a chance to develop young people’s leadership skills and boost their self-confidence.
“The Trinity Young Leaders program was such a great learning experience. Through the program I was able to make new friends and learnt to be confident and outgoing. All the people that I met, the mentors and fellow attendees, and all the different activities that we participated in were all memorable.”
Along with attending the Trinity Young Leaders program, Asende is enjoying the freedom to focus on her studies with the financial support of Western Chances. Asende received her first Western Chances scholarship in Year 10 in 2016 when she was nominated by the school careers coordinator for her resilience, academic results and being involved in leadership and debating. She was awarded fund for textbooks, MYKI, stationery and a specialist maths calculator. Asende was successful in having her scholarship renewed in 2017 and again in 2018 as she continues to be a positive role model and is recognised as a hard worker with a growth mindset.
“The Western Chances scholarship has aided me in getting all my material on time and as a result I’m more prepared for school. Before I had the scholarship, due to financial stress I would get some of my books on time and I would receive others later on in the school year. The scholarship has allowed me to focus more on my studies and trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life.”
Asende is a born connector, and with her growing confidence she enjoys mixing with others to build her friendship network.
“Outside of school I play soccer for a community team. The team was created in order to empower people of all ages and all genders through football which is the world game. Being part of the team is super exciting and I get to meet people outside of my group of friends which is great.”
Given Asende’s drive to help others, she’s sure to be making a difference with her chosen career.
“My biggest dream for the future is to continue working hard and to never give up on anything. Through hard work I will be able to finish my university studies and to get into a career where I have the opportunity to work with the less fortunate. I want to be able to help those who are in need of it and make a positive impact in their lives.”
We’re pleased that our support for her education needs can help Asende discover her true potential.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Great results for Western Chances Year 12 students
- Scholarship recipient responds to One Young World call to action
- Nominator spotlight: A champion for enterprising young students
- Western Chances and Melbourne Airport: Celebrating 10 years together
- Nominator Profile: Creating opportunities for young people is a way of life
- Alumni and recipients say thank you to donors and supporters
- Travel fuels scholarship student’s desire to improve global health
- Basketball fan takes his study game to a new level with scholarship “assist”
- Inspired changemaker paves the way for future young leaders
- Scholarship recipient makes the right moves toward career in medicine
- Western Chances alumni and tertiary recipient networking event
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Links Partner Profile: Maths professionals make ideal mentors for enquiring minds
- Acting career is no drama for scholarship recipient
- Compassionate scholarship recipient seeks rewarding career helping others
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example