Ebony Ayres’ dream of improving animal health is a step closer with the support of Western Chances.
Currently in the midst of a Bachelor of Science at The University of Melbourne, Sunshine local Ebony, is majoring in Animal Disease Biotechnology.
While her ambition and motivation played a huge part in getting Ebony to pursue her dream career, she did have concerns about the expenses that go along with university study. Concerns that Western Chances was happy to alleviate.
Ebony received her first Western Chances Scholarship in 2014 when she was undertaking Year 12. She was nominated by her Assistant Principal for academic excellence and has successfully had her scholarship renewed in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
“The Western Chances Scholarship allowed me to pay for transport to and from university, and it allowed me to buy all the textbooks I ever needed. Overall, Western Chances made getting an education much more stress-free, and meant that I didn't have to penny-pinch to buy the essentials.”
In addition to her scholarship, Ebony has also taken advantage of Western Chances’ connections in the wider community and was awarded a Mary Jane Lewis Scholarship.
“The Mary Jane Lewis Scholarship meant that I didn't have to worry about working during my university years, and allowed me to focus solely on getting an education. This means I can keep focusing on studying in the future, instead of worrying about getting the money to fund those studies.”
With animals close to her heart, it is no wonder Ebony is passionate about achieving the best results in her university course in animal health.
“For the future, my big dream is to work with animals and focus on their health and improvement. I love animals, and want to benefit them in any way that I can.”
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship