Ebony Ayres’ dream of improving animal health is a step closer with the support of Western Chances.
Currently in the midst of a Bachelor of Science at The University of Melbourne, Sunshine local Ebony, is majoring in Animal Disease Biotechnology.
While her ambition and motivation played a huge part in getting Ebony to pursue her dream career, she did have concerns about the expenses that go along with university study. Concerns that Western Chances was happy to alleviate.
Ebony received her first Western Chances Scholarship in 2014 when she was undertaking Year 12. She was nominated by her Assistant Principal for academic excellence and has successfully had her scholarship renewed in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
“The Western Chances Scholarship allowed me to pay for transport to and from university, and it allowed me to buy all the textbooks I ever needed. Overall, Western Chances made getting an education much more stress-free, and meant that I didn't have to penny-pinch to buy the essentials.”
In addition to her scholarship, Ebony has also taken advantage of Western Chances’ connections in the wider community and was awarded a Mary Jane Lewis Scholarship.
“The Mary Jane Lewis Scholarship meant that I didn't have to worry about working during my university years, and allowed me to focus solely on getting an education. This means I can keep focusing on studying in the future, instead of worrying about getting the money to fund those studies.”
With animals close to her heart, it is no wonder Ebony is passionate about achieving the best results in her university course in animal health.
“For the future, my big dream is to work with animals and focus on their health and improvement. I love animals, and want to benefit them in any way that I can.”
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Vale Lynne Wannan AM
- Scholarship student has big dreams to tackle inequality and discrimination
- National Volunteer Week 2019 - ‘Making a world of difference’
- Family values make accessible mental health care a priority for scholarship student
- Nominator spotlight: From student to Year 12 coordinator at Braybrook College
- Working together in Melbourne’s west.
- Netflow-Western Chances partnership supporting talented young people in Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony 2019 - Event Wrap Up
- Great results for Western Chances Year 12 students
- Scholarship recipient responds to One Young World call to action
- Nominator spotlight: A champion for enterprising young students
- Western Chances and Melbourne Airport: Celebrating 10 years together
- Nominator Profile: Creating opportunities for young people is a way of life
- Alumni and recipients say thank you to donors and supporters
- Travel fuels scholarship student’s desire to improve global health
- Basketball fan takes his study game to a new level with scholarship “assist”
- Inspired changemaker paves the way for future young leaders
- Scholarship recipient makes the right moves toward career in medicine
- Western Chances alumni and tertiary recipient networking event
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future