James Kot values the power of community connections, which have helped him to settle into Australia. As part of his numerous leadership roles, he inspires and supports others to connect and engage with their community.
Scholarship recipient James came to Australia in 2013, from South Sudan. He learnt to speak English at the Western English Language School and is now completing a Certificate III in Further Study as his Pathway to University.
James is known for his strong leadership skills in community activities, including as a leader of youth programs for the Western Young People’s Independent Network (WYPIN). After two years on the committee, he was elected chairperson in 2018.
“WYPIN is a youth led organisation made up of diverse young people from 12-25 years old. In my role with WYPIN, I support settlement programs for newly arrived young people in the western region of Melbourne. I support the young people as a peer leader, to work together as a team, feel confident and connected to their community. I have worked with schools through WYPIN’s peer education program and through engagement programs run by Victoria Polytechnic.”
Driven to inspire and connect with others, James has a long list of community participation and leadership roles.
“I have also fulfilled a secretary role with Wyndham Ambassadors for Multicultural Youth. Through my experiences I have worked with many organisations and councils including Western Bulldogs Community Foundation, Micare, Spectrum Migrant Resource Centre, Maribyrnong Youth Services and Brimbank Youth Services. I’m now running a soccer team which comprises more than 30 people in Wyndham. Wyndham Youth United FC is under the Wyndham Sports Youth Leadership and Network.”
James received his first Western Chances scholarship in 2017 when he was recognised for his sincere commitment to education, community leadership and peer support. He was awarded funds to purchase a laptop to assist with his tertiary studies and funding for a MYKI to travel from his home in Wyndham Vale to VU at Footscray . James was successful in having his scholarship renewed in 2018 and again when he received funding for textbooks and MYKI.
“Western Chances has supported me in so many ways. The scholarship supported me with my MYKI so I could travel to school and all around Western Suburbs running the programs where I support other young people and learn from them. The scholarship also helped me to make a film this year together with the Western Bulldogs. I could not imagine making this film this year and having a yearly MYKI without a Western Chances Scholarship.”
With an impressive record of achievement behind him already, James has yet further aspirations to fulfil his Big Dream for the future.
“I enjoy working with different people from different backgrounds and meeting new people. I am interested in politics and I’m so ambitious about becoming a future leader one day. I want to study Humans Rights law to be able to know how different tribes or cultures work.”
We’re proud to have James as a valued member of the Western Chances family.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Scholarship student has big dreams to tackle inequality and discrimination
- National Volunteer Week 2019 - ‘Making a world of difference’
- Family values make accessible mental health care a priority for scholarship student
- Nominator spotlight: From student to Year 12 coordinator at Braybrook College
- Working together in Melbourne’s west.
- Netflow-Western Chances partnership supporting talented young people in Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony 2019 - Event Wrap Up
- Great results for Western Chances Year 12 students
- Scholarship recipient responds to One Young World call to action
- Nominator spotlight: A champion for enterprising young students
- Western Chances and Melbourne Airport: Celebrating 10 years together
- Nominator Profile: Creating opportunities for young people is a way of life
- Alumni and recipients say thank you to donors and supporters
- Travel fuels scholarship student’s desire to improve global health
- Basketball fan takes his study game to a new level with scholarship “assist”
- Inspired changemaker paves the way for future young leaders
- Scholarship recipient makes the right moves toward career in medicine
- Western Chances alumni and tertiary recipient networking event
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Links Partner Profile: Maths professionals make ideal mentors for enquiring minds