Western Chances Alumni and board member Celia Tran has been awarded the highest possible honour possible as part the Premier’s Volunteer Champions awards in 2016. Celia won the Premier’s Volunteer of the Year, Dame Elisabeth Murdoch award –for her work with young people and multi-cultural affairs.
She was recognised as “an inspirational young person who provides leadership across various causes and organisations supporting multicultural youth, refugees and asylum seekers, and disadvantaged youth in Melbourne’s west."
Each year the winner of the top award receives $10,000 to donate to a charity of their choice. We are overjoyed that Celia chose Western Chances as her recipient.
Said Celia: “I couldn't have chosen a better organisation to donate it to”.
This award is just one in a long list of achievements for Celia who has worked tirelessly over the years to support young people from multicultural backgrounds. As well as her position on the board at Western Chances, Celia;
• is the Victorian Ambassador for the Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network Australia;
• Has a role at the Capital City Local Learning & Employment Network, helping to build collaborative relationships that help deliver positive change for young people; and
• Spent two years with the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre with their Youth Empowerment Program, Young Women’s Program and youth volunteers.
Thank you, Celia, for your generous donation and congratulations to all the nominees and winners of the Premier’s Volunteer Champion Awards.
You can read more about the awards here.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances Scholarship recipient to appear on Q&A panel
- Western Chances Alumni Brainstorm Session
- Communication: the key to a bright future for scholarship recipient
- Scholarship recipient honoured to represent Australia at Washington’s Capitol Hill
- Making a difference with medicine: Scholarship recipient inspired to pursue a career in patient care
- Good Business Forum 2017 Wrap Up
- New Alumni Community Program – Word from the Wise
- Alumni Business Spotlight: Leesa Ward from Double-E Design
- Western Chances Alumni Abid Khan: Star of the stage and medicine
- 2017 Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony
- Outstanding Year 12 completion Western Chances Scholarship Recipients
- Big Dreams for women in Melbourne’s west
- From music to journalism: Scholarship recipient carves out a promising career
- Western Chances alumni receives Premier’s top volunteering honour
- Western Chances scholarship recipient dancing towards a bright future
- Nominator Spotlight: Keilor Downs College
- A year in the life of a Western Chances Alumni Community Program member
- Alumni Natasha Jones on International Day of People with Disability: “We want the same thing as you”
- Recipient receives spark of inspiration at Engineering Camp
- The latest Western Chances Board update