Western Chances Alumni and board member Celia Tran has been awarded the highest possible honour possible as part the Premier’s Volunteer Champions awards in 2016. Celia won the Premier’s Volunteer of the Year, Dame Elisabeth Murdoch award –for her work with young people and multi-cultural affairs.
She was recognised as “an inspirational young person who provides leadership across various causes and organisations supporting multicultural youth, refugees and asylum seekers, and disadvantaged youth in Melbourne’s west."
Each year the winner of the top award receives $10,000 to donate to a charity of their choice. We are overjoyed that Celia chose Western Chances as her recipient.
Said Celia: “I couldn't have chosen a better organisation to donate it to”.
This award is just one in a long list of achievements for Celia who has worked tirelessly over the years to support young people from multicultural backgrounds. As well as her position on the board at Western Chances, Celia;
• is the Victorian Ambassador for the Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network Australia;
• Has a role at the Capital City Local Learning & Employment Network, helping to build collaborative relationships that help deliver positive change for young people; and
• Spent two years with the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre with their Youth Empowerment Program, Young Women’s Program and youth volunteers.
Thank you, Celia, for your generous donation and congratulations to all the nominees and winners of the Premier’s Volunteer Champion Awards.
You can read more about the awards here.
Image courtesy the Office of the Premier
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Scholarship recipient explores her passion for animal care
- Meet a Board member: Gaye Hamilton
- High octane science and engineering career ahead for scholarship recipient
- Western Chances workshop inspires next generation of leaders
- Gymnast and scholarship recipient becomes Dance Sports champion
- Scholarship recipient embraces university and work placements with an eye on the future
- Meet a Board member: Ros Willett, Deputy Chair, Western Chances Board
- A lifetime in the west: Western Chances nominator dedicates her life to supporting young people
- Scholarship recipient welcomed into Western Chances family
- Dedicated scholarship recipient keen to begin leadership career
- Scholarship recipient eyes opportunities through window into corporate world
- Performing Arts potential realised through Western Chances Scholarship
- Scholarship recipient breaks new ground in Australian TV
- From Stockbroker to teacher: Meet Western Chances nominator Tony Adamson
- Scholarship recipient overcomes barriers on road to dreams
- Scholarship recipient strengthens resolve to achieve global impact
- Lunchtime wisdom for recipients and alumni
- Terry Bracks AM career of giving and chances
- College Captain & scholarship recipient takes leadership in her stride
- Scholarship recipient encourages young aspiring lawyers: “Just go for it”