On Wednesday 9 March 2016 Western Chances hosted our annual Scholarship Award Ceremony - and by all reports it was our best one to date.
This special event highlighted the incredible achievements of our young scholarship recipients by showcasing their talents and providing a platform for them to share their inspirational stories.
There were 90 young people attending this year's event representing 24 schools and an array of talents. Young people such as:
- Charlotte Iannella from Taylors Lakes Secondary College who was awarded for her skill with the Italian language.
- Lasitha Rodrigo from Essendon Keilor College who was awarded for academic excellence and leadership.
- Michael Deng from Victoria University who was awarded for his community involvement and leadership.
- Lucia Catanzariti from Victorian College of the Arts Secondary College who received her scholarship for ballet.
This year we were proud to welcome the Right Honourable the Lord Mayor of Melbourne Robert Doyle (pictured) to open our event. Past scholarship recipient Abid Khan returned to MC again, former recipient Melissa Le Fevre spoke about the powerful impact of her Western Chances scholarships and current recipient Jemima Gillespie performed an incredible contemporary dance number.
As part of the proceedings Western Chances was also presented with a cheque for $50,000 from the Bank of Melbourne for our successful grant application to their Neighbourhood Fund. We would like to take this opportunity to say another huge thank you to the Bank of Melbourne for its generosity and commitment to our scholarship program.
Thanks to our event sponsor Western Melbourne Regional Development Australia for supporting the event this year and for helping to make it our best one yet.
You can view some great photos from the night over in our events gallery.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni
- New volunteer Lyn a valuable member of the Western Chances team
- Scholarship recipient explores career options and aims to make a difference
- Volunteer and keen golfer finds sweet spot assessing scholarship applications
- Westpac Foundation’s Community Grant Ambassador advocates for young people Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award ceremony – celebrating the achievements of our newest scholarship