At Western Chances we have a saying; talent is everywhere; opportunity is not. Through our holistic support model, in addition to providing scholarships, we link talented young people with additional life-changing experiences by collaborating with partners and supporters to increase opportunity.
Western Chances are extremely grateful to our major corporate partner Melbourne Airport and for our collaboration with ‘The Huddle’ at North Melbourne Football Club. Both these organisations have arranged amazing free tickets for Western Chance recipients and alumni. We are very fortunate to be able to offer tickets to major cultural and sporting events, which our recipients and alumni may not otherwise readily access.
In 2018 ‘The Huddle’ provided almost 500 complimentary tickets to North Melbourne home games. The tickets allowed access to the ‘Huddle Bays’ on Level 1 at Etihad Stadium, and gave our students and their families an awesome view and the chance to experience all the fun and excitement of an AFL game. Without fail we receive the most effusive feedback from our young people who are just bursting with enthusiasm about their time at the Footy.
“That was a great experience for me and my family. We would like to say thank you to Western Chances for giving us this wonderful opportunity. It was our first time ever attending a footy match which made it really adventurous. We really enjoyed sitting and cheering for North Melbourne. They are a great team and they played well. Once again I think it's great that you guys are giving young teenagers the opportunity to become part of a club and help. I'm not really interested in playing footy but I love sitting and watching them so it's so good that you guys are encouraging young teens who want to join and accomplish their dreams. That's the thing I really love about Western Chances.”
“The AFL tickets were fantastic. The seating was amazing and the game was magnificent! I am really thankful for the opportunity that the Huddle and Western Chances gave me. I really enjoyed spending time with my family at the footy game as I don't get to do that much as I am a full time student, so this free game really improved my mental health and wellbeing.”
This year we also received over 370 tickets to galleries and exhibitions, compliments of Melbourne Airport. From Wonderland at ACMI, to Design for Life at Heide, MoMA at the National Gallery and Inside Out at the Melbourne Museum, our recipients and alumni were able to enjoy some of the biggest and best cultural experiences in Melbourne. As well as being fun, these opportunities value-add to the scholarships by extending our recipients’ knowledge and encouraging further personal and professional growth.
“I finally found some time last week to go with my friend and we thoroughly enjoyed the exhibition. It was great looking at all the different styles of work and we had so much fun. Again, I want to thank Western Chances and Melbourne Airport for opening such a great experience, we'll remember it for a very long time.”
My birthday was October the third and it has been years since I celebrated it! However after receiving tickets through Western Chances, I invited three of my friends to join me in an afternoon at ACMI. It was a beautiful afternoon, we had heaps of fun exploring the exhibition, it was really interesting to see how film and stories transcend across generations, different art forms and countries (the way that they told it through Anime was pretty visually striking). I would like to thank Melbourne Airport a dozen for giving me such an amazing opportunity to experience a great time with people who matter to me! Honestly I don't think I would have gone (for financial reasons) if I didn't have these tickets! Thanks so much!"
On behalf of all our recipients and alumni - we say ‘Thank You’ to Melbourne Airport and the North Melbourne Football Club for providing these exciting opportunities.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- Inspired changemaker paves the way for future young leaders
- Western Chances alumni and tertiary recipient networking event
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Maths professionals make ideal mentors for enquiring minds
- Compassionate scholarship recipient seeks rewarding career helping others
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Scholarship recipient highlights young African-Australian success
- Level-up your performance with practice – a key lesson for musician and scholarship student
- Scholarship recipient steps into leadership role to connect his community
- Scholarship recipient leads by example
- Fortune favours the fish that swim upstream
- Western Chances CEO finds shared purpose at Garma
- Residential program fosters confidence, growth, and leadership potential
- Students emerge stronger from Kokoda track experience
- Spark creates bright futures
- Alumni gives back to Western Chances through leadership
- Good Business Forum 2018 Wrap Up
- Volunteering abroad builds skills and insight for scholarship recipient
- Uganda to Melbourne’s west: Joel’s story
- Dancer joins the ranks of the Western Chances Alumni