Since answering a call-out for Community Grant Ambassadors last year, Westpac’s Michael “Muddy” Waters has been a committed advocate for Western Chances. His work has inspired others in the banking community to help create more opportunities for young people.
Image L-R: Michael 'Muddy' Waters, Rhyll Dorrington, CEO Western Chances, Peter Young, Westpac.
Western Chances has a proud and long-standing connection with the Westpac Foundation, after receiving valuable “seed” funding in 2004. Westpac Foundation’s Community Grants are awarded to local, grassroots organisations that have a vision of creating a “fair go” for all Australians. As well as funding of $10,000 each, the grants also include valuable non-financial support, connecting grant recipients with the Westpac Group’s expertise and resources.
When Michael Waters, Head of Corporate Banking VIC/SA, joined Westpac’s Community Ambassador program last year, he was keen to share his expertise to support his local community. Michael was instantly drawn to what Western Chances was achieving for young people locally.
“The organisation helps provide young people with greater access to opportunity. The beauty of this is that people get assistance but then have to work hard to maintain the support Western Chances has on offer. I find this “structure” profoundly balanced and encourages the right behaviours in all stakeholders – I signed up and have been proud to be their Ambassador ever since.”
Michael’s initiatives to build relationships between Western Chances and Westpac bring immense value to the whole community.
For example, he invited the CEO of Western Chances to speak to his team about the programs for students. Hearing first hand, it brought home to the team how Westpac’s support was really making a difference in the community. From there it was easier for Michael to draw in his team’s support for the next grant application.
Also, as an active supporter of events such as the Scholarship Awards Ceremony, Michael’s understanding of the journey scholarship recipients are on has deepened. He is inspired by the students’ achievements and he has welcomed scholarship alumni to the Westpac State Headquarters Annual Leadership Forum.
“This is for young people who are now forging their own careers and provides a valuable avenue for them to stay connected to Western Chances and continue to contribute to the cause in some way.”
Continuing to promote Western Chances in the bank’s community, Michael invites members of Western Chances to attend bank events, which generate valuable donations to support our program delivery.
Michael enjoys being an active participant in the community, and encourages others to join in his endeavours.
“Being an Ambassador is not only tremendously satisfying; it also provides great personal development opportunities through increased social awareness”
Western Chances is proud to have Westpac’s support from our early beginnings, and we particularly thank the staff like Michael “Muddy” Waters for their significant personal contributions.
OTHER NEWS ITEMS
- National Volunteer Week 2019 - ‘Making a world of difference’
- Family values make accessible mental health care a priority for scholarship student
- Nominator spotlight: From student to Year 12 coordinator at Braybrook College
- Working together in Melbourne’s west.
- Netflow-Western Chances partnership supporting talented young people in Melbourne’s west
- Western Chances Scholarship Award Ceremony 2019 - Event Wrap Up
- Great results for Western Chances Year 12 students
- Scholarship recipient responds to One Young World call to action
- Nominator spotlight: A champion for enterprising young students
- Western Chances and Melbourne Airport: Celebrating 10 years together
- Nominator Profile: Creating opportunities for young people is a way of life
- Alumni and recipients say thank you to donors and supporters
- Travel fuels scholarship student’s desire to improve global health
- Basketball fan takes his study game to a new level with scholarship “assist”
- Inspired changemaker paves the way for future young leaders
- Scholarship recipient makes the right moves toward career in medicine
- Western Chances alumni and tertiary recipient networking event
- Western Chances supporters provide opportunities for the future
- Links Partner Profile: Maths professionals make ideal mentors for enquiring minds
- Acting career is no drama for scholarship recipient