The Western Chances Alumni Program ensures a continuity of support for the rising number of scholarship recipients completing their studies and entering the workforce.
The Alumni Program provides past scholarship recipients with valuable opportunities to connect with each other, tap into our extensive learning and collaboration networks and achieve their career and life goals.
Since Western Chances launched in 2004, we have grown to award over 6,250 scholarships to over 2,650 young people in Melbourne’s western suburbs. These scholarships are valued at almost $4.9 million. We have established a strong reputation for delivering positive outcomes and ongoing educational support for young people.
Many past scholarship recipients have expressed a desire to demonstrate their appreciation for the support they have received, and to participate in nurturing the talents of other young people. The Western Chances Alumni Program establishes a supporter base of past recipients who can participate in building the future of Western Chances.
To qualify as a member of the Alumni Program you need to be:
• a previous Western Chances Scholarship recipient
• not currently receiving financial support from Western Chances
• 18 or over
If you answered yes to all the above we welcome you to join now. To do so:
1. Subscribe and enter your details to join our mailing list and keep up to date with opportunities and events
2. Complete the Survey to have your say about the kinds of activities and events in which you would like to be involved
3. Join the Alumni Facebook Page to connect with other alumni members and hear the latest news and opportunities
The Western Chances Alumni Program provides opportunities to past scholarships recipients via key networking and learning events.
Topics for alumni events include financial management, leadership, careers and more.
You can read about some of our recent events on our news page including our Word from the Wise lunch program, events around our strategic planning, such as our brainstorming session, or see what a year in the life of an alumni looks like.
Frequently asked questions
What is an Alumni?
The term ‘Alumni’ is commonly used to describe a group of former students or graduates of a school, college or University. Alumni, alumnus (masculine) and alumna (feminine) stem from the Latin ‘aler’ meaning ‘to nourish and be nourished’.
Who is eligible to be a member of the Western Chances Alumni Program?
If you are a past scholarship recipient aged 18 years or over not currently receiving a Western Chances scholarship and living anywhere in Melbourne, Australia or overseas you are, by definition, already an alumni member.
What are some of the benefits of being a member of the Western Chances Alumni Program?
- Connect with and build a supportive community and create a strong sense of belonging.
- Peer to peer support, mentoring and advice.
- Education, career development, training opportunities, job interview and presentation skills coaching, writing successful job applications, management training, investment and financial planning are just some examples.
- Invitations to special events and exclusive networking opportunities.
What do I have to do as a member of the Western Chances Alumni?
How you participate as part of the Western Chances Alumni is completely up to you. You could simply receive emails and newsletters, be part of an online community (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube), attend networking events or become an ambassador, speaker, performer, board or committee member, volunteer, media interviewee or a peer mentor.